I am an American

On Tuesday, November 4, 2008, I voted in my second Presidential Election. This was much different than my last voting experience, because I actually voted the day of the election at a voting booth. Woo Hoo!! The last election I was in college and had to vote by absentee ballot. I thought that it was really cool to go to vote, which I believe makes me an even bigger geek :) Anyway, I got up really early on Tuesday morning, so that I could leave my house by 6:30 A.M. to get to my voting place. I was really lucky and it was just a short walk 3 blocks away from my apartment. I arrived 20 minutes early and was number 9 in line. (During the last election, Denver had really bad lines and issues on voting day, so I thought it best to be an early bird). When the doors finally opened, I was off to vote. But being me, it wasn't without some glitches. First, I only received page 1 of the ballot. I probably would not have noticed this had Amendment 58 not been on the first page. So I had to ask for page 2, which luckily they didn't hassle me at all. Then as I am voting, my pencil breaks. Should I have taken this as a sign? I got a new pencil and finished voting. In and out in 15 minutes. I wore my "I Voted" sticker proudly all day (even out to dinner at Olive Garden with Brandon). Not all the election results went in my favor--I only got 1 of the 3 things/people I wanted, but I will not let this discourage me from voting in the next election for what I believe in. So I am an American and I have a say (good or bad) about how I feel the government is taking us because I did my civic duty and voted.

No comments: